Henryetta began when Hugh Henry arrived in the area in 1885 and discovered coal in the creeks.
hughThe land where he pitched his tent belonged to the Creek Nation, one of the Five Civilized Tribes.
Since he was part Creek, he established his ranching operations using the coal he found to fire the forge of his smithy.
Those coal deposits came to the attention of businessmen back east and soon the St. Louis and San Francisco Railway, the Kansas, Oklahoma and Gulf Railroad and the Okmulgee Norther Railway opened several active mines throughout the area.
A settlement called Furrs started next to the mining operations then, on August 28, 1900, a post office opened with the official name of Henryetta. The name came from resident Henry G. Beard and his wife, Etta. 
In 1901 a city government was formed and Olin Meacham served as the first Mayor.indian nation intersection
Coal, oil, natural gas and agricultural products provided the economic base for the town during the first part of the 20th Century.
Within the first nine years of its existence, there were 14 coal mines operating here that provided a $70,000 payroll.
More economic growth came to the community in the next 20 years. There were 23 industrial plants that included a dozen coal mines, broom factory, several brick factories and a bottling plant.
Eagle Pitcher opened a smelter in Henryetta that took advantage of ore deposits found in the northeastern part of Oklahoma and, soon there were over 700 workers producing most of the free world's supply of germanium. That rare metal proved to be invaluable in the burgeoning transistor and diode industries